Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tilda and the Gangster 7

After a somewhat plain but ample breakfast, I got the men clean warm water to wash up. I felt our simple lifestyle acutely, offering them such primitive facilities.

After their morning toilet was accomplished, Mr. Barker and Mr. Karpis gathered their things. For all appearances they were on their way out the door. But instead, they set their bags by the kitchen door and took a last look around the place as if not quite ready to leave. I wondered at their hesitancy, but managed to keep up the small talk so things didn't get awkward.

Finally after a bit of a lull in the conversation, Mr. Barker cleared his throat in an uncomfortable sort of way, and asked if I knew of a Miss Eggermeir.

"Miss Eggermeir?" I thought a moment. "You must mean Miss Trudy. Well, yes, of course I know her."

"Yes, Miss. Gertrude Eggermeier, that would be. Yes, that would be the woman we need to see," Mr. Barker replied. "Are you able to direct me to her place, please?"

Miss Trudy! Our Miss Trudy! Well, I didn't know what to think of this. I certainly did not know of any business these city dandies should have with our Miss Trudy. And I didn't want to sully her stalwart reputation by sending strange men her way, her being a woman alone on the prairie. And yet I could think of no excuse I could use to thwart them. I would not lie, but I didn't see a way I could tell the truth either.

I was rendered completely speechless.

"Uh, well, yeeeees... I suppose I do know how to get to her place...It...it...it's not at all far from here." I stammered to a stop.

"Did we show you our vegetable garden?" I choked out.

The two men looked at each other and engaged in a sort of eyebrow communication. Mr. Barker turned back toward me. "Now, Miss Tilda," Mr. Barker coaxed (for that is my given name, if I haven't yet mentioned it), "Miss Tilda, as much as we love to look at a vegetable garden, I don't suppose there is much to see at this time of year. Isn't that so?"

I nodded slowly. My mind was whirling, searching for a way to save Miss Trudy's good name. But I was finding no answers.

"Now Miss Tilda," Mr. Barker began again, "We have legitimate business with your friend and neighbor. That business is none of your concern if Miss Eggermeier has not kept her neighbors abreast of her entrepreneurial endeavors. Let me assure you that we mean her no harm. We are merely businessmen checking on a business connection."

Well what was I to say to that? Miss Trudy, a business connection? Was it possible? Most of the time I enjoyed being the lady of the house, but there were times when life threw me a situation I didn't quite feel competent to address. And that morning had certainly turned into one of those times.

"Weeelllll," I began. "Well, I suppose I could point you in the right direction." Oh, how I wished Papa was home to decide this. Oh, how I prayed I was not sending evil upon Miss Trudy.

With much nervous stammering, I finally managed to direct the men to Miss Trudy. But I didn't like doing so one bit..

When Mr. Barker and Mr. Karpis finally opened the door and stepped out, Henry came running up to wish them on their way. I was glad that he was there to make light of the situation. I was too undone within myself to play a good hostess to our departing guests.

Henry and I watched them drive out of the yard and down the road until the fancy auto disappeared behind the neighbor's woods. I am sure we couldn't have presented more opposing moods. Henry was grinning widely, excited after having entertained such citified men. I felt pale and shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment